Genes control

Cyborg Yeast Have Their Genes Controlled By Computer

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2011/11/08/cyborg-yeast-have-their-genes-controlled-by-computer/

Alex Knapp, Forbes Staff

11/08/2011 @ 9:44

In a joint effort, researchers at U.C. San Francisco and ETH Zurich have developed a method that enables them to precisely control gene expression in individual cells of yeast. Their research, published in Nature Biotechnology, represents an interesting step forward in genetic engineering.

Here’s the basics of how it works: the researchers expose the yeast to a red light. This changes the shape of a protein called phytochrome, a common regulator that’s found in quite a few species. Exposure to light changes the shape of the phytochrome, which allows it to turn a gene on, so the gene will produce its particular protein. The phytochrome can then be exposed to a different shade of red light to turn the gene off.

In order to ensure that this gene expression is properly regulated, the researchers also introduced a different molecule into the yeast. When the proper gene is turned on and its protein is being produced, this molecule will luminesce. The computer then detects that light and verifies that yes, the phytochrome turned on the gene.

This combination of technique allows for precise control of gene expression in yeast, which is something that can be useful for genetic engineering. For example, if a yeast cell was genetically modified to include a particular gene, this technique would allow the expression of that gene to come under precise control. It’ll be interesting to see how this type of control will evolve over the next few years.

(h/t Robert Gonzales)

Follow me on Twitter or Facebook. Read my Forbes blog here.

You need to be a member of Peacepink3 to add comments!

Join Peacepink3

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –